Weblayers have multiple different uses, and are generally good as Call-to-action solutions. Some of the uses are below:
- Displaying important information. As the web layers are over other content of the web page, they are good for highlighting information that are already available, but could have been overlooked in the web page itself, e.g. free shipping
- Subscription. You can use buttons in web layers so customers can subscribe to e.g. push notifications or newsletters
- Gathering information. Web layers can be used as surveys, to update customer attributes, etc.
- Webpage modification. Web layers can used to change components of the web page where they are displayed. This is especially useful when A/B testing different variants of e.g. color of CTA button.
In order to create powerful value-bringing Web Layers, it is important to understand what are the goals you aim to achieve with them.
Creating a web layer
Web layers are created in the campaigns section and consist of 4 important parts.
- AB test setup
- Launch summary
In the design part, you define visual and behavioral part of the Web layer. In this part, you select one of the predefined templates of web layers for easiest use. If there are two different Web layers of the same type on a web page, only one of them will be displayed, and this is chosen by random.
Each template has its own predefined variables that you can easily change in the visual editor, e.g. text or colors It is also possible to see the web layer on a specific URL using the onsite preview. You can specify variants separately, and each variant can be different template. More advanced visuals, such as setting a picture as a background, can be set using HTML/CSS in code editor.
Behavior of each template can be changed in code editor. This can be used to change the behavior on the web page using JS, or to add multiple advanced conditions to code, that cannot be specified using the general settings of the web layer, such as gaining information about contents of the cart. You can also call another web layer from Exponea, or access information from various components, such as metrics or reports.
AB test setup
In this part, you can set the ratios of showing the different variants to the customers. These are probabilities of occurrence, so it is possible that the results will not match these percentages, mainly when small samples are presented. Control group by default does not show any variant. If there are any conditions specified in the JS in the design part, it is important to create a custom control group which will have the same conditions, but will not show any visual part of the web layer. This is important to have homogeneous groups so web layer evaluations can be done properly.
Exponea allows usage of AI to determine the best performing variants of the web layer and then preferring these variants over less performing. However even low performing variants will be still used in small percent of cases so the AI can test continuously if the performance did not change. In case the performance changes, AI changes preference as well, always choosing the best variant. At the beginning, all variants have the same probability. This feature takes into consideration conversion goal that is set in the settings.
This feature will maximize the effect gained from A/B testing
In Settings you define conversion goal, display settings and audience for the web layer.
- Conversion goal – This changes the behavior of the automatic A/B tests, as well as automatically generated reports for the web layer.
- Schedule – you can choose to display banner from when you activate the Web Layers or set specific date frame
- Show on – you can choose what webpages the Web Layer will be shown at: every page, page with specific URL, page containing URL or by creating regexp where you define conditions URL should have
- Target devices – you can select devices where to show the web layers
- Display – you can choose to display the Web Layer: Until interaction, Once, Once per visit or Always
- Audience – you can choose to show Web Layers to everyone, or specify filter with conditions to show it only to specific customers
This section provides last check before the web layer is brought to production and shows the summary with visual design as well as main settings.