Email templates are designs that can be reused when sending emails through scenarios or email campaigns. They include whole email structure with availability of personalization of data.
Email templates are used for e.g. Newsletters or automated scenarios such as cart abandonment. It allows for simple reusing of the same template in multiple scenarios, and also simple content change for daily marketing purposes. It is also possible to send the emails not to customers, but to a specific email address that can inform relevant parties about desired information either about customer behavior (e.g. sending of lead information using on event triggers is scenarios) or scheduled repeated emails with important metrics to management. It is also possible to upload an image in email template to get a direct hyperlink to this image, especially useful when there is limited possibility to put it on own web page. These images can later on be used in e.g. web layers.
Creating a template
Email templates are created in the campaign section
There are two ways of creating an email template:
- HTML builder – consists of field for HTML and CSS input in case you have pre-created email templates or are proficient in the languages
- Visual builder – interactive email creator that allows you to build the email from different components
HTML builder lets you design the email from scratch using HTML and CSS respectively. It also allows uploading of images to Exponea servers which allows using hyperlinks to these images. There are respective tabs for code itself, visualization and personalization for specific customer.
It is possible to create custom HTML blocks that can be reused. For more information, please follow this guide.
Visual builder has three main parts: Content, Structure, Body. This is achieved via integration of Beefree.io into Exponea.
Content allows you to fill the email structure with several components. You can use the following:
- Text – simple block of text that can be formatted with e.g. text color, spacing, etc.
- Image – lets you upload an image and show it in the email template. These images are uploaded to Beefree and can be accessed via the visual builder.
- Button – a simple button that can be styled in multiple ways and allows several actions, namely open web page, send email, call or send sms
- Divider – a horizontal line that can be styled or an invisible divider of the other content components
- Social – buttons that allow sharing a web page or liking some content on various social media
- HTML – block of self-defined HTML.
Structure tab allows different positions of content. It allows to specify different background colors for specific rows or columns as well as padding between them. Structure blocks are dragged and dropped to the template, which will create open slots for content to be put there. You can have multiple different structure blocks under each other, as well as multiple contents in one structure block.
This section allows you to specify parameters outside of structure block. There are several options, namely content area width, background color, content area background color, default font and link color
Emails sent from Exponea allow for the content to be personalized. This is achieved using Jinja tags in the email. (You can find thorough Jinja specification here). You can however use Exponea to create the Jinja code for personalization for you. This can be simply pasted into the text field within email. When you click on Personalization tab in the bottom of the template, a small menu will appear. Jinja allows for more advanced inputs, such as if conditions or for cycles to bring the personalization even further.
The menu lets you choose from multiple options, such as
- customer attributes
- trigger event properties – when used in scenario with on event trigger, the attributes of the specific event which triggered the scenario will be used. This is usually used in cart abandonment scenarios
- webhook response
- catalog items
- unsubscribe link – custom link for each customer which will allow them to unsubscribe from mailings. Note that when when this link is shared, other people can unsubscribe the customer if they proceed with it.
- view link – custom link that will show the email in browser
- current timestamp
It is possible to create multiple versions of an email template, and the versions will be sent to customers based on their “language” property, which can be set by e.g. a scenario. Different language options can be set in project settings -> languages. When a customer does not have any language set, default template will be used. When creating a new language mutation, default template will be copied. Afterwards, when default template is changed, the copies will not be updated.
Afterwards, you can edit each template separately:
The attribute in a customer: