Reports are Exponea’s most powerful analytics tool. By using reports you are able to create pivot tables by combining customer attributes with event attributes.
Creating new report
By clicking Create new report you will start with an empty report with one single metrics – customer count. Report is created by adding event or customer attributes into rows and columns and using appropriate metric.
In the Table section you can define your report. Rows and columns represent rows and columns of the resulting table. Metrics then allow you to compute values for the combinations set in the rows and columns.
Rows and columns
In the Rows and columns you are able to add fields of 3 types:
- event attributes
- for example you can select event session start and its attribute country into rows.
- customer attributes
- you can use any attribute as a field, for example customer email, aggregate or segmentation
- special attributes (like timestamp)
- by selecting timestamp you are drilling down the report by time units defined in the format of the timestamp (default format is year month day)
Grouping is useful when there are too many values to display or you want to group the values based on certain properties.
There are following options for grouping:
- disables any grouping
- default value, tries to select the best possible grouping based on the attribute
- selects only first X values in rows according to the first metric used in the report
- tries to create equally large groups, the number defines number of groups
- automatically creates groups from available values based on average and standard deviation to create histrogram like distribution
If turned on, it will display also values that are not defined and will also allow users who don’t have any value for the field to enter the calculation.
Metrics compute values in the table according to the drilldown specified in rows and columns. For example, metric customer count when combined with session start > country attribute in rows will compute how many customers started a session in given countries.
Formats allow you to format values in report. There are 3 groups of formatting related to time (date format, date part, date difference) and 1 group of numeric filters. Only one filter can be applied at a time.
Date filter on the top right limits the set of events that enter the report calculation. Date filter does NOT apply to customer attributes (not event aggregates or segmentations).
You can specify an additional customer filter at the bottom of the report definition. This filter is computed first – only customers who pass this filter, enter the report calculation.
There are 3 actions possible on fields in the report definition. You can delete (trashbin icon), duplicate (+ in square icon) and reorder/move fields (6 dots).
After hitting the preview, you should see the Report view. It is possible to display both table and chart or only table or chart.
Based on the table, the chart will try to display the most appropriate representation of the data.
There are 7 types of charts available in the reports:
- classic column chart
- stacked column
- available when using field in columns
- limits to 15 values
- adjusts y-axis based on the values (can start from negative values)
- doesn’t adjust y-axis (starts from 0)
- shows additional information on hover (percentage of the whole)
- percentage area
Report result is displayed in the table.
Example: report with session start > country in rows and count customer metric
Actions on table
Following actions are possible in the table.
- summarize column (three dots at the column header)
- summarizes the column
- running total (three dots at the column header)
- summarizes the column in the sequence
- merging values in rows
- after you click Merge button above the table you can select values that you want to be merged, then you can click Merge again