Combination of customers and events is the basic concept in Exponea. While customers can have various static attributes (such as email or name), they can also have a history of their actions (e.g. in your e-shop). We call this actions´ events.
Tracking events allows you to create useful analyses and target customers through our campaign module (e.g. sending a cart reactivation email after unfinished purchase).
Customer is a basic entity in Exponea around which all tracking and analyzing is built.
Customer can have various attributes. There are 4 types of attributes a customer can have:
- static attributes
- these are usually set from the SDK or are updated through imports
- attributes that doesn’t change often (e.g. email, name, subscription status)
- calculated for every customer in real-time from events belonging to a given customer
- calculated in real-time
- when customer belongs into a certain segment in a Segmentation, the segmentation will be available to use as his attribute
- calculated in real-time
- these attributes are derived from the existing ones through Expressions (see Data management)
Customers in Exponea are by default created automatically when the Exponea initialization code is called for the first time at a device. This creates a customer identified by an identifier cookie. This identifier is then used for all customer’s subsequent sessions.
Every customer in Exponea has two identifiers: registered and cookie. Cookie is used for identifying.
Exponea automatically merges multiple customers (e.g. through multiple devices) when matching identifiers are provided.
Predefined customer attributes
These customers´ attributes have special meaning in the application:
- first_name, last_name, company_name – only in Customer view
- photo – URL for customer photo displayed in Customer view
- email, phone – used in email and SMS campaigns
- unsubscribed – true if customers has unsubscribed from receiving marketing campaigns
Download customer list
To download a list of customers, click the Download button at the bottom of the customer list. This will create CSV with all selected customers and their attributes.
Please note that customer download does not export events. To export events you should use another service (such as Export API, for more information contact our support).
We recommend you to do backup before deleting customer data.
Customers in your business make various actions. We call these actions and activities events. Tracking these events gives you the ability to analyze customer behavior and gain insights to improve your business.
For example, by tracking cart events you can understand which step is the most painful and makes your customers abandon the cart. On the other hand, tracking purchases lets you build a business overview dashboards.
Example of a cart event – payment, tracked from Exponea JS client:
Technical limitations (advanced)
There are few rules you should follow when creating the tracking by yourself.
- every event is linked to the customer by “customer_id”
- every event must have a “timestamp”
- when omitted the timestamp of the receive at server is used
- events can have up to 255 various attributes
- event attributes can be defined on the fly and added even when the older version of event is already tracked
These events are automatically generated by the Exponea application:
- tracked as the progress of a customer in a campaign
- contains information regarding email delivery, opens, clicks; SMS sends; A/B split testing
- session_start & session_end
- tracked by default, can be disabled
- if enabled in the client
You are 55% through the Getting Started guide!